dinsdag 30 oktober 2012

Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)
Serie: The Dark Duet #1 
Release date: 2011 
Stars: 5/5 

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.


I really don't read much erotica, but  I was quite intrigued with the synopsis and decided to read this one. It was a very dark and disturbing, but interesting book! That still doesn't do it justice. It was quite a captivating story and it takes you to dark places. It keeps you thinking and it's just WHOA!
The main character is Olivia, she has a very sad background story. Her mother has branded her a whore her whole life, despite the fact that Olivia is still a virgin. You learn how far Olivia was willing to go to please her mother and how she falls in love with her abuser and captiver! You'are just waiting for her to crack! The other character, Caleb is the one that captived Olivia. We should hate him, he is a sadistic, abusive basterd, but we learn a lot about Caleb and we hear his thoughts and understand what is going on in his head and how he had an afwul past. But justify that his actions? It's very hard to just see him as the arrogant asshole that he is. You read about Olivia falling in love with him and you start to wonder why but can't help but see the light in his darkness too.  You see why the story is disturbing? I mean how can you enjoy the book, when it's that disturbing? How can I enjoy it? I still don't know, I just had to know more and that kept me reading and yes even enjoying the story. Make no mistake, it's not a love story, it's a dark and taboo ridding story! Captive in the dark is full of conflicting emotions and the whole story is kind of controversial and you keep thinking about it. I find it very hard to write a review about it. I really am looking forward the read the second part, Seduced in the Dark and I really recommened Captive in the Dark!

3 opmerkingen:

Lectus zei

I loved this book! For me, it wasn't like reading erotica at all. Maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much.

Unknown zei

I've heard so many good things about this book!

Unknown zei

This is one of those books that I only read it because it was cheap and I couldn't find anything better. But I ended up loving it way more than I expected.